Date: 5/20/2017 to 5/22/2017
Cost: $400 per person
The RIT Alumni Association is proud and excited to offer an
exceptional educational group excursion to Design Week in New York City,
May 20-22, 2017! This trip will give you an opportunity to explore the
sights and sounds of New York City while getting VIP tours of the International Contemporary Furniture Fair and Wanted Design, as well as private gallery tours given by the "father of the art furniture movement," Wendell Castle.
This trip will also give you a behind the scenes look at Metaproject, an annual RIT industrial design senior project with RIT ID Professor and Chair, Josh Owen.
Itinerary (subject to change):
Saturday May 20, 2017
- 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM - Afternoon NYC gallery walk with Wendell Castle
- 7:00 PM - Dinner at Otto w/ Josh owen, 1 5th Ave., New York, NY 10003
Sunday May 21, 2017
AM - Morning Kickoff at the International Contemporary Furniture Fair
(Jacob Javitts Convention Center, 655 W. 34th St., New York, NY)
- Lunch on your own
- 1:30 PM - Tour of ICFF with Industrial Design Chair, Josh Owen
- 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM - Metaproject Evening Event
Monday May 22, 2017
- 10:00 AM - Visit Wanted Design NYC (Terminal Stores, 269 11th Ave., between 27th and 28th St.)
- 12:00 PM - Leave for Wanted Design Brooklyn via bus
- 1:00 PM - Lunch on your own in Brooklyn (Wanted Design, Sunset Park, 274 36th St.)
- 4:00 PM - Wrap-up for the day and take bus back to Manhattan
exclusive trip is only being offered by RIT and space is limited!
Now running in its seventh iteration, Metaproject aims to encourage students to produce design that is "semantically correct,
syntactically correct, and pragmatically understandable, but also visually powerful, intellectually elegant and timeless."
This year's Metaproject collaboration is with Umbra, a Toronto-based designer and manufacturer of housewares. Founded in 1979, Umbra now sells more than 2,000 home products, sold through 25,000 retailers in 75 countries. Umbra brings thought and creativity to everyday items through original design. Great design comes from creative thinking and Umbra is committed to nurturing talent by collaborating with new and emerging designers. Each Umbra product is an original design with the name of the designer recognized on the product.